Saturday, August 21, 2010

Typical new car warranty--what's covered? I've got a unique case here...?

Most new car warranties cover bumper-to-bumper for 3-5 yrs (depending on make) with exceptions for things like trim, upholstery, etc., which are usually less, maybe one year for example. Let's say my seatbelt retractor mechanism doesn't work properly (defect?). Because I didn't notice (or wasn't careful, or in a hurry, or whatever) I exited the vehicle and closed the door, but the seat belt latch was dangling because of this problem (it wouldn't be dangling if it worked properly). As a result, the trim on the door or seat was scratched, gouged, torn, etc. The seat belt is under warranty; the trim/upholstery is now out of waranty (car is 2 yrs old, let's say). Generally, SHOULD THIS TRIM/UPHOLSTERY BE REPAIRED/REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY AT NO CHARGE? I know some might say, ';it depends.'; What make is the car? How good a customer are you? What are the market conditions at the time and in your area? I know. But I'm looking for a general answer--what is the industry standard? Thanks.Typical new car warranty--what's covered? I've got a unique case here...?
Try several dealers to see what is covered. Be reasonable, but persistent in getting what the warranty allows.





http://www.edmunds.com/advice/warranties鈥?/a>Typical new car warranty--what's covered? I've got a unique case here...?
i read your description twice.. and the only remedy you have is colossion insurance.. i know the retractor was bad but you cant prove that .. i would just turn it in to the insurance under colission.. damage.. and you dont know how it got there.. i did a simular thing. i carry a pocket watch i have it on my belt and pocket.. and going to a destination i kept hearing this metallic noise.. later on that day i looked for my watch and it was gone.. somehow the cable that i hook to it came off my pants belt loop and fell on the floor and was draged for 5 miles ruining my watch.. i just bought another.

No comments:

Post a Comment