Saturday, August 7, 2010

Have you been called to do Jury duty yet? If so what kind of case did you cover?

I did Jury service on 1996. It involved lots of waiting around for 2 weeks!!! I did get a case but only for the last 3 days. It was for a 12 year old boy who was an accomplice to a violent mugging. It was a really hard one, he had obviously been bullied into being a lookout for a much older boy (he had pleaded guilty) but the poor old lady involved was badly beaten, it was awful.





I was the only one to say not guilty, despite the other jurors pressuring me to change my mind, they got really nasty, but I still stand by my decision to this day. He did not attack the lady, he had been threatened to do what he did. It was an 11 to 1 verdict of guilty. I have no idea a what his sentence was (maybe a few months in a detention centre) but I can still see his terrified face. I hope the older boy got the book thrown at him though.Have you been called to do Jury duty yet? If so what kind of case did you cover?
You're not allowed to give details of the case you had to cover.





O.K my mistake.Have you been called to do Jury duty yet? If so what kind of case did you cover?
I did grand jury- so I heard a bunch of cases every other friday for three or four months- the grand jury has to find reasonable cause that a crime has been committed and then the case goes on to be heard by another jury. SO I heard a wide variety of cases but as it has been said I can't discuss them.
A felon was accused of possession of a gun. Though everyone on the jury pool agreed he was guilty they wanted to let him off. I tried to convince them not too, but they were just anti-cop or whatever. It kind of tainted me from jury service.
No sorry but I would like to go, should be fun.
i got it and made out i was ill so didnt have to go
I was called many years ago and sat the first week doing nothing and on the second week a jury was picked from those available and the rest of us were sent home....
Old enuff to have done jury service twice most of the time you will be covering run of the mill stuff like theft and fraud maybe assault (gbh) often it's a case of whose story you believe, or if you like who is the more credible witness. If there is a high profile or very long case coming up they will usually ask if you can do this separately if that is your concern. Most people find it an interesting experience and they cover your expenses and lost earnings where your employer doesn,t cover it anyway.
once you finish you can give information but not details i did it and covered a robbery/theft case and a public disorder offence involving swords both cases got dropped through lack of evidence
I was a jury member on 2 trials.1st one was GBH but no evidence so not guilty.2nd was someone who held an 86 year old lady at knifepoint and stealing her money.He was guilty and admitted it at the end to get a smaller sentence.He got 5 years.Im so glad.
they called me three times to serve jury duty but i had it delayed twice because of school schedule but they didn't take no for an answer on the third round...

No comments:

Post a Comment